Swansea Free Public Library
Gift and Donation Policy and Transfer of Ownership Form
Gift and Donation Policy
The Swansea Free Public Library (SFPL) encourages and appreciates private support of the Swansea Free Public Library. To ensure that all gifts are appropriate to the Library’s mission, the following guidelines have been adopted:
1. The Library will determine the acceptance of each gift.
2. Monetary donations to the Library Gift Fund can be sent by check c/o the Library Director, 69 Main Street, Swansea MA 02777.
3. The SFPL selectively accepts gifts of books, DVDs, CDs, video games, board games, puzzles, and electronics equipment for public use. Gifts to the SFPL are judged on the same criteria as purchased material. The SFPL is unable to house and promote a substantial special collection. Conditions of display, housing, access, and withdrawal are considered. The appraisal of a gift for tax purposes is the responsibility of the donor.
4. Personal property, antiques, and collectibles may be accepted at the discretion of the Director in consultation with the LBOT, with the understanding that they may be sold, given away, or otherwise discarded.
5. Works of art will be accepted at the discretion of the Director in consultation with the LBOT with the understanding that they may be sold, given away, or otherwise disposed of. The Director in consultation with the LBOT reserves the right to determine the location and display of donated artwork. The Director or LBOT may request that an artwork be accompanied by a current appraisal of value and may request evidence of bona fide artistic importance and merit of the work and reputation of the artist. An appropriate deed of gift, or similar document, transferring sole and exclusive ownership of the artwork to the SFPL, will be required.
6. Memorial gifts may be refused if an expenditure of library funds and/or staff time is necessary to make the gift usable. The SFPL does not guarantee the purchase of specifically identified titles with such funds. Donors are encouraged to recommend subject areas if desired, but do not have the right of approval of titles before purchase.
7. Recognition of Gifts: Library Bookplates will be placed in library materials purchased with gift funds, format permitting. Programs and services made possible by gift funds will include recognition of such benefactors in the supporting literature. The SFPL will acknowledge each gift with a letter to the donor.
8. Any restrictions on gifts must be submitted in writing and approved by the Library Director in consultation with the Library Board of Trustees. Restricted monetary gifts will be accepted on the condition that the specific use requested is consistent with the mission, vision, and values of the SFPL.
9. The responsibility for the appraisal or the estimation of the value of gift donations lies with the donor. The SFPL will not assess or suggest a value for non-monetary gifts for income tax or other purposes; any letter of acknowledgment will not contain a statement of value.
Document of Transfer of Ownership
Approved by the Swansea Free Public Library Board of Trustees June 23, 2021