Swansea Free Public Library
Safe Child Policy
The Swansea Free Public Library is dedicated to providing a safe and welcoming environment that encourages all children to visit the library, attend programs, and use library resources. Library staff is available to assist and support children and their caretakers in using the Library.
The library encourages frequent visits by children and their families. However, library staff cannot provide child care or assume responsibility for children's safety.
- Parents, guardians, teachers, and caregivers, not the library staff, are responsible for the safety and behavior of children visiting the library. Staff cannot be placed in the position of supervising unattended children.
- Children are expected to behave in a manner conducive to maintaining an appropriate atmosphere in the building for all patrons. For more information please see the Library’s Behavior Policy and Computer and Internet Use Policy
- Children under the age of 10 must be accompanied and adequately supervised by a responsible caregiver, and children under the age of 6 must be in the immediate vicinity of that caregiver at all times
- Young people age 10 and older may visit the library independently, but they are still the legal responsibility of their parents. Young people who visit the library by themselves must know how to reach a responsible caregiver in case of emergencies, health and safety issues, inappropriate behavior, or early closure. The library’s business phone may only be used in urgent situations.
- If a young person’s behavior is unduly disruptive, he or she may not be allowed to remain in the library or to visit again unaccompanied.
- Both children and adults need to be aware of the library’s closing time. Young people must be picked up from the library by the time the library closes. If any young person remains at the library 15 minutes after closing, staff may call the proper authorities. Library staff may not provide rides to any youth library patrons.
Approved by the Swansea Free Public Library Board of Trustees, October 18, 2018